[Dixielandjazz] music Chat matters

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jul 16 17:25:31 PDT 2003

John Petters wrote:
>the month that music that matters died......

in reference to the Beatles.

Music that matters lives on, John.  (Listen to Rod Stewart's latest
"American Songs".)
It's just that there are alternatives around.

While recently in Boston, my kids took me to see/hear/feel/smell a show
called Blue Man Group, which I've already mentioned on DJML.  Well,
while sitting there having practically every sense in my body being
attacked at once (not a bad feeling, by the way....you just have to be
prepared for it!), I thought "this is it...this is where it's all
going....there's no stopping this....., etc."

I compare it to when some people here refer back to the times of Gen.
Franco saying "that wouldn't go on if he were around".  Rubbish.  Times
are changing, and even Franco couldn't have stopped that.  This reflects
on politics, pleasure, everything.

All we can do is hang on for the ride, and continue doing what we enjoy
(Dixieland) & finding people that enjoy it, also.  It is completely daft
to put down everything that is going on, or to try to blame it on any
one person (or group).  Time is a flowing, changing thing.  One can
reminisce, but one can not change (nor should one try to place blame for
something so natural as change).

Sorry for preaching.  I know you & I have gone around several times on
similar motives.  I believe we are still, and still we be, friends.
Just wanted to let you know that  I've considered all of this to great
lengths, while contemplating my belly button............

Jim