[Dixielandjazz] 'Mouldy Figs' term

Ron Wheeler rwheeler at flex.com
Thu Jul 17 11:34:42 PDT 2003

Dan Augustine wrote...
> DJML (anybody)--
>     This message reminded me that i've always been curious who came up
with the term 'mouldy fig' (or even 'Mouldye Fygg') to pertain to dixieland
(or trad, or whatever).  Who did it, when, and what does it really mean?
>     I checked the OED about this, and they seemed to think some guy from
France wrote a letter to a magazine about dixieland and signed it 'Moldy
Fig'.  Was that it?  Was this a popular and tasty French snack (at least to
them, who like snails and other comestibles of doubtful succulence)?

Dan and all...

>From the web site http://www.allaboutjazz.com/jazz1945.htm

"The term "Moldy Fig" (sometimes "Mouldy Figge") appears for the first time
in reference to the old school Jazz players in the Esquire letters column in
a letter from a Navy man named Sam Platt."

This is on a time line that puts the first known use of the term in 1945.
Several other sites reference the term.  Just go googling.

Best from Wake Island,

Ron Wheeler