[Dixielandjazz] Re: Better Players

john petters jpettjazz at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 15 22:27:13 PDT 2003

David said
> Unfortunately, the younger people in OKOM (myself
> included) never had the chance to hear Louis live. All
> we have heard of Louis is from scratchy LPs or CDs
> made from 70-year-old masters.

I never heard Louis live, but I can hear that tone and phrasing. Blaming
recording techniques is not the answer.

 Early microphone
> technology just didn't capture his sound. I can hear
> the phrasing and timing but the "glistening sound" of
> his horn just doesn't come across in the recordings.
> It makes it harder for us to fairly compare Louis with
> today's performers who make digital recordings that
> can capture so much more of a performance to tape...
> or should I say "hard drive."

Not so - the Hot Severn recordings are in good fidelity. Moving onto the 50s
and 60s the sound is Hi Fi - what more could you desire.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com