[Dixielandjazz] Re: Better Players

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 12:55:08 PDT 2003

>   Cripes...do I have to keep repeating myself.
> Nobody, dead or alive can
> play Louis Armstrong's classic solos ( say West End
> Blues or Potato Head Blues)
> with the same phrasing and timing.  many have tried
> and all failed.
>
>   You are assuming because one may seem to have the
> technical facility, that
> he can easily crack off an Armstrong solo.  But you
> are overlooking
> Armstrong's masterful phrasing and timing, and that
> glistening sound.  those things
> cannot be duplicated.  As you said your self, the
> hard part is the fire, the
> feeling...these guys don't have it.
>
> If I had 1000K I would place it out there for anyone
> who could duplicate an
> Armstrong solo to the satisfaction of a small and
> select group of judges.
>
> Jim Beebe

Unfortunately, the younger people in OKOM (myself
included) never had the chance to hear Louis live. All
we have heard of Louis is from scratchy LPs or CDs
made from 70-year-old masters. Early microphone
technology just didn't capture his sound. I can hear
the phrasing and timing but the "glistening sound" of
his horn just doesn't come across in the recordings.
It makes it harder for us to fairly compare Louis with
today's performers who make digital recordings that
can capture so much more of a performance to tape...
or should I say "hard drive."

Dave Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo -- Internet Radio
Today's hot bands playing OKOM!
http://www.dixielandgumbo.com/

If you are interested in getting airplay for your
traditional Jazz recordings, contact me at davel at dixielandgumbo.com