[Dixielandjazz] Re: Better Players

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 15:11:01 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/15/2003 9:24:21 AM Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Regarding someone's comment that Clifford Brown couldn't play what Louis
> played, that is just not the case. Clifford
> had all the ammunition. Excellent tone, great feel/fire, great ideas, and a
> great melodic approach. To deny that he
> outplays Louis is simply a case of tunnel vision, or being stuck in the
> musical time warp of the 1920s / 30s.
>
> Many players today easily replicate exactly what Louis played. I can recall
> Peter Ecklund doing so, as well as others.
> The hard part is the fire, the feeling, and the fact that Louis was THE
> ORIGINATOR.
>
> But then, as powerful as they are, fire and feel are subjective measures as
> interpreted by each of us differently. The
> numbered measurements above are completely objective. If you answer "yes" to
> them regarding a player like Brown what
> possible conclusion can you reach except that Brown plays better?

  Cripes...do I have to keep repeating myself.  Nobody, dead or alive can
play Louis Armstrong's classic solos ( say West End Blues or Potato Head Blues)
with the same phrasing and timing.  many have tried and all failed.

  You are assuming because one may seem to have the technical facility, that
he can easily crack off an Armstrong solo.  But you are overlooking
Armstrong's masterful phrasing and timing, and that glistening sound.  those things
cannot be duplicated.  As you said your self, the hard part is the fire, the
feeling...these guys don't have it.

If I had 1000K I would place it out there for anyone who could duplicate an
Armstrong solo to the satisfaction of a small and select group of judges.

Jim Beebe