[Dixielandjazz] Pres. Hall's Stories

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 04:29:56 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/12/03 2:25:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
drjz at bealenet.com writes:

> "Preservation Hall" by William Carter (1991) presents the story of the
> New Orleans venue and bands, with several vignettes of the musicians,
> the most interesting of which is Sweet Emma Barrett, the "Bell Gal"
> (1897-1963) who refused to fly, and replied "None of your damned
> business" when asked how old she was. She was paralyzed on her left side
> after a stroke in 1967, but continued to play with her right hand. When
> I saw her, the bass player was resting his gluteal region on the lower
> third of the piano keyboard! Another book is "Preservation Hall
> Portraits" (1968), with 100 black and white reproductions of paintings
> by Noel Rockmore, and text by Larry Borenstein and Bill Russell. Narvin
> Kimball is shown resting on his instrument case, which is a shame
> because there aren't many left handed banjoists. Regards.
> Fred

And all this fodder feeds the MYTH of what a GREAT BAND they were or are
still purported to be, at best they were barely adequate players consisting of
unemployed musicians with no place else to work, because of habits and problems,
or not being good enough to play in the working bands around New Orleans and
road bands.

Somebody posted a comment by some great legendary New Orleans player about
why he never played with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and his comment was
"None of those guys were good enough to play with me twenty-five years ago why
the Hell would I want to play with them now."

That pretty much dispels the MYTH about the Quality of that Organization and
it's players no matter how much we try to glamorize the band.  They were and
are still a bunch of wannabes or never were players not quite good enough to do
anything better.

It is too easy to write a fictitious story about some old Black guy and his
years of long suffering and being a struggling musician in the shadow of Louis
Armstrong and other greats.  I am sorry folks but Being Old and Black and
holding a musical instrument having no teeth, and a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth does not make them a LIVING LEGENDARY Blues or Jazz Player.

I have personally seen many of these old folks trotted out to the festival
circuit as Legends
 and the audiences who never saw or heard them in their pitiful youth forgive
their arthritis and lack of skills in performing, merely attributing it to
their glorified status as Legends in the media to sell tickets.  When in all
actuality they never were very good.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
The only White guy playing in a Black Band full of guys who know the truth
about Black musicians and Legends.