[Dixielandjazz] Question revisited

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 04:03:01 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/12/03 8:13:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
charliehooks at earthlink.net writes:

> >Seems to me, proper instruction has more advantages.  But there
> >are amongst us some terrific self-taught musicians.
> >Ken Gates
>
>   I'm self taught, and would love to think I'm one of those terrific ones.
> But I'll never know now, will I, nor will the rest of the world ever know,
> just how good I might have been with proper lessons....bless 'em!
>
>   ...way it goes...
>
> Charlie

No doubt it does Charlie:

I have several Jazz Professors and High School Music teachers who play in my
band, it is sometimes although not always easier to tell them how to play what
I want them to play without the benefits of a chart,  they often have
difficulty in hearing what I am talking about, so the rest of the self taught guys
just start to play it and they seem to figure it out and play pretty well with
us or get awfully embarrassed if they don't.

It's all about musical communication and improvisation either you can do it
or you can't and the only thing you have to rely upon is your ears like us self
taught guys had.

What do the chart readers do in the wind when the charts blow away????  the
best way to learn improvisation I would imagine.

If I had listened to my first professional unemployed music teacher, I would
no doubt still be trying to audition for a fourth chair trumpet position with
the Pacheco symphony orchestra.

:)   and I do not by any means mean this to belittle any teacher or their
efforts, Bless you all for your efforts even if they are sometimes strictly
theoretical and only what you have been taught to teach, before you actually went
out and tried to play that way and earn a living.

Lawyers have the same problem folks, years of Law school and then they go to
court on their first case and greet reality and find that almost nothing they
learned in school means anything in the real world of Law and Courts.  Ask
Steve Barbone or George Thurmond, I am sure they have some great off list stories
about court cases.

Cheers,

Tom "Still learning every gig" Wiggins