[Dixielandjazz] Re: I'm Comin Virginia Chords

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Jul 12 12:27:36 PDT 2003

At 04:38 PM 7/11/2003 -0400, Steve Barbone wrote:
>The way Barbone Street plays the first measure in F (excluding the 4 pickup
>notes) is:
>/ (F-F7)-(Fdim-Bbm) /
>I think that is the way Sheik (David Littlefield) has it in his Dixieland
>fake book which among other things, is a very good reason to own a copy, if
>folks don't yet have one.

One of the reasons I've always liked "I'm coming Virginia" is that it's
amenable to variety in playing it. Almost every time I play/hear it, I hear
some different possibilities. I have no doubt that's why it was popular
with jazzers of the 30s, who swung the hell out it. It's certainly great
fun for rhythm cats, with all those nice changes. And if one needs a ballad
on the fly, it works well with a lilting 2-beat...I can hear a soprano-alto
duo behind muted cornet...

--Sheik