[Dixielandjazz] Re: I'm Comin Virginia Chords

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 17:38:02 PDT 2003

> Burt Wilson <futurecon at earthlink.net> wrote:
> About I'm Coming Virginia
>
> Dear Dave--
>
> If you're playing it in F, the first two chords are C7 and C7+
> If in Eb, the first two chords are Bb7 and Bb7+
> >From then on, everyone has a different way of playing it. I like Condon's
> way--came out in the late 50's--with the descending chords coming in on the
> second beat.

The way Barbone Street plays the first measure in F (excluding the 4 pickup notes) is:

/ (F-F7)-(Fdim-Bbm) /

In C as played by Tex Wyndham groups it would be:

/ (C-C7)-(Cdim - Dm) /

I think that is the way Sheik (David Littlefield) has it in his Dixieland fake book which among other things, is a very good reason to own a copy, if folks don't yet have one.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone