[Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Gigs

Mike Marois MikeMarois at HireLiveMusicians.com
Sat Jul 12 11:04:18 PDT 2003

My time with Ed and Ann was in the early 90's.  They must have have had to
change their modis operandi.  When Bendel, Sternberg and I would go out for
their agency, we were specifically told, you're not the Banjo Buddies.  This
kind of bummed my out because of the name reconition thing, but after they
through several gigs a week our way I got over it.  I do remember having to
wait for the checks though.  At the time, my day gig was tying me over
between gig checks.

White Castles, early in the morn, after a Dixie gig in Chicago...  Man stop
it, you're bringing back a ton of memories!!!

Mike
Tuba/Computer Guru
http://www.TheDukesofDixieland.com
http://www.HireBands.com
http://www.MaroisApps.com

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of
Shortuba at aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 10:32 PM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Gigs

Mike and listers -

I, too, when in Chicago played more than a few gigs with the Banjo Buddies.
At that time (early 1980's) he would book out as many as five or six
different
groups on the same night, all claiming to be the "Banjo Buddies".  I think
Ed
justified it by sending a different member of the original group with each
sub - let group (I know, it's a term I just made up.  Couldn't think of
anything
else.).  He probably got some complaints later on and used a different name
for the sub - let group.

Ed would also wait until the check to him cleared the bank before paying the
musicians.  That meant not getting your check for maybe as much as six
weeks.
That's worse than some Trust Fund jobs.  On the other hand, my first
experience with White Castle was courtesy of Mike Bezin after a Banjo
Buddies gig.
What else was open at 3 am in Chicago back then?

Mike Short
Tuba,
Party Gras Band, Des Moines, IA
Red Rose Ragtime Band, Chicago