[Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Gigs

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 00:31:49 PDT 2003

Mike and listers -

I, too, when in Chicago played more than a few gigs with the Banjo Buddies.
At that time (early 1980's) he would book out as many as five or six different
groups on the same night, all claiming to be the "Banjo Buddies".  I think Ed
justified it by sending a different member of the original group with each
sub - let group (I know, it's a term I just made up.  Couldn't think of anything
else.).  He probably got some complaints later on and used a different name
for the sub - let group.

Ed would also wait until the check to him cleared the bank before paying the
musicians.  That meant not getting your check for maybe as much as six weeks.
That's worse than some Trust Fund jobs.  On the other hand, my first
experience with White Castle was courtesy of Mike Bezin after a Banjo Buddies gig.
What else was open at 3 am in Chicago back then?

Mike Short
Tuba,
Party Gras Band, Des Moines, IA
Red Rose Ragtime Band, Chicago