[Dixielandjazz] Re: Simultaneous Appearances - Was Riverboat Schedule

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 18:52:24 PDT 2003

Jazzjerry at aol.com wrote:

>    In a message dated 11/7/03 3:25:11 pm, barbonestreet at earthlink.net
> writes:
>
> > No need to match patrons, because the average
> > OKOM fan cannot really differentiate between A. B. C. or D bands.
>
> Steve,
>
> I didn't realise that you held your customers in so much contempt!

Once again, you take it "out of context". I have more respect for my
customers than most band leaders. The success of Barbone Street, as
measured by the customer satisfaction proves that. The simple fact of
the matter is that most of the audience cannot tell the difference
between my A, B, C, or D bands. And I believe that I granted that some
few might be able to do so. That is not "contempt, but simple truth as
any working musician knows full well. And even experienced musos seem to
have trouble identifying players as many blindfold tests have proven
over the years, in numerous jazz publications.

> If I hear the 'Gasworks Jazzband' at gig 'A', like what I hear and
> decide to
> book that band three or four months later then I expect the same bunch
> of
> musicians, or as near as dammit, and a load of complete strangers turn
> up to play
> they would very quickly be shown the door.

Any time Barbone Street is booked, I make darn sure the booker knows
exactly what he/she is getting. A point you totally ignore, or have
glossed over in reading and/or understanding my previous posts.
Regarding "strangers" I can only think that the example I quoted went
right over your head. Those "strangers" together in a band are the equal
of any band in the world, and superior to most all of them. You would be
very privileged to get them as 'Barbone Street" or as anything they
chose to call themselves. As your countryman said long ago, "A Rose by
any other name would smell as sweet."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone