[Dixielandjazz] N'awlins-bound... need a little help!

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Jul 10 10:53:51 PDT 2003

One place that is a MUST is the old U.S. Mint at Decatur and Esplanade.  The
Jazz Museum is located upstairs there, and it is full of history about the
jazz in New Orleans, including some horns that belonged to Satchmo.
http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/collections/jazz.htm

Check out Fritzel's webpage before you leave.  Perhaps they will have
updated it by then.
http://www.fritzelsjazz.com/

Probably your best bet to hear good "dixieland jazz" will be the Natchez
Riverboart.  Duke Heitger plays during the day (I think two cruises) and the
Dukes of Dixieland at night.

The summer is DEAD for OKOM and especially Sunday and Monday nights.  They
have a GREAT band including Duke Heitger and Evan Christopher on Sunday
nights at the Shim Sham Club. (The ONLY reason we went).  (yes, burlesque
show).  http://shimshamrevue.com/dates.html    The dates listed on their
website only go through June 1, so they may be off for the summer.

Wear a hat and expect HOT!

Have fun.
Rebecca