[Dixielandjazz] Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers Reissue

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Jul 6 16:04:05 PDT 2003

I have received a copy of this CS and I can say that it is a wonderful
listen.
The musicianship of these players is superb -- Moe was the trombonist on the
Pete Kelly's Blues albums and movie underscore. (He was also a CPA and
accountant for Local 47 -- one musician who got closer than most to real
money!)
Bobby Higgins, and old friend all too sadly gone now, was a tasty player
with a style suggestive of Hackett but with his own ideas. I remember him
with Ted Vesley's band even earlier.
Rosie's charts are tightly written , yet swing well...make that romp, and
the blend of these players in the ensembles shows what happens when you take
good material and put it in the hands of good players. A great CD and I
recommend it to all -- those of Rosie's old friends and those that will find
it a great way to get to know this guru of the early jazz style and mentor
to many.
Don Ingle