[Dixielandjazz] Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers Reissue

SonsofRosy at aol.com SonsofRosy at aol.com
Sun Jul 6 15:32:57 PDT 2003

Dear Friends,

Some of you may be familiar with the CD I produced last year entitled "Where
the Morning Glories Grow: A Centennial Remembrance of Rosy McHargue."
Clarinetist and C-melody saxophonist James "Rosy" McHargue was a great musician and a
great man.  I am honored to say that he was my mentor and friend, and I
wanted to pay tribute to him for introducing me to the music that is now an
integral part of my life.

The inspiration for that CD was a remarkable band that Rosy led in the 1950s
called "Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers."  Rosy often said that those were the best
recordings he ever made, referring to the sides he cut for the Jump and
Audiophile labels in 1952 and 1956.  In addition to writing the arrangements for the
band, Rosy also wrote four-part barbershop harmonies for his bandmembers to
sing.

Last year, when I was doing research on the members of this band, many of you
who knew them offered your recollections, which were extremely helpful to me
in assembling their bios.  A big THANKS to those of you who contributed.

Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers is one of my all-time favorite bands, and not
merely because I knew its leader.  Their music is some of the swingingest ever
made, and yet it also reflects Rosy's gentle warmth as a human being.  There is
some outstanding solo work from Rosy, cornetist Bob Higgins, trombonist Moe
Schneider, and pianist Earle Sturgis.  Celebrated bass saxophonist Joe Rushton
even makes a guest appearance on a couple of numbers.

I felt that this music needed to be heard, so I took it upon myself to make
it available.  With the permission of the Jump and Audiophile labels, I have
just produced a CD reissue of the complete recordings made by Rosy McHargue's
Ragtimers.  The CD includes a 26-page booklet with many rare photos, and liner
notes by myself and Rosy's longtime friend, writer Floyd Levin.  These
recordings have been out-of-print for many years.  The Audiophile sides have not been
reissued since their initial release almost fifty years ago.

THE SONGS:
   They Gotta Quit Kickin' My Dawg Aroun'
   Down in Jungle Town
   Palesteena
   Singin' the Blues
   Jazzin' the Blues Away
   Till We Meet Again
   Basin Street Blues
   Rosy's Hangover Rag
   Davenport Blues
   Sweet Georgia Brown
   Night Wind
   That Mysterious Rag
   Don't Bring Me Posies
   Ace in the Hole
   Everybody Works but Father
   Frankie and Johnny
   Livery Stable Blues
   Oriental Jazz
   He Walked Right In, Turned Around and Walked Right Out Again
   Aunt Hagar's Blues
   Asleep in the Deep

THE MUSICIANS:
    ROSY McHARGUE  clarinet, C-melody saxophone
    BOB HIGGINS  cornet
    MOE SCHNEIDER  trombone
    EARLE STURGIS  piano (Jump sides)
    DON OWENS  piano (Audiophile sides)
    RAY LEATHERWOOD  bass
    GEORGE DEFEBAUGH  drums
    JOE RUSHTON  bass saxophone (on "Ace in the Hole" and "Frankie and
Johnny")
    RINK LESLIE  vocal (on "Don't Bring Me Posies")

To order this CD, go to the official Rosy McHargue website, <A HREF="rosymchargue.com">RosyMcHargue.com</A>,
or simply send a check or money order, made payable to Loup-garous
Productions, to:

Loup-garous Productions
27 Washington Square North, Suite 4D
New York, NY  10011

CDs are $15.00 each, plus $2.00 S/H in the U.S., $4.00 to Canada, and $6.00
overseas.

I hope you will enjoy the music of this truly spectacular band as much as I
do.

Dan Levinson