[Dixielandjazz] Labs and jazz

Brian Towers briantowers at msn.com
Sat Jul 5 22:09:37 PDT 2003

Max, my yellow lab, six years old (going on 18 months!) seems to have
attracted some comment and there is in fact a jazz twist to my story.   Sad
to say, he once indicated to me that he did not appreciate traditional jazz.
A couple of years a go I converted my family room into a sound studio and we
worked hard to produce a band CD.   Max was most upset about the long hours
of jazz music and refused to come into the house for several days, even
after we had finished the recording session.
Thinking about it a little more, I believe it was the drum kit that
distressed him he so it seems he does not like drummers.  There is, however
an outside chance it could have been the sound man (squealing mikes) -
that's me.
I suspect drums to be Max's "bete noire"  because he is well used to
trombone (me) assorted reed instruments (my wife) piano (wife and daughters)
violin (daughter Vanessa) and flute (daughter Jacqueline) so it is most
likely the drums.

Unlike Don Ingle's dog, Max has not had the opportunity to hunt but he has
taken up soccer with a vengeance.  He can retrieve and carry up four  soccer
balls (slightly punctured of course) simultaneously and will play tirelessly
all day.   He plays well though shows a certain reluctance to pass the ball.
He does not sing well but is a fine whistler.
If we are up North holidaying by a lake and take a boat out, we have to
chain him, otherwise he swims and follows us for miles.
A great dog and a great friend - he really keeps me in line!
Brian Towers
Hot Five Jazzmakers
Canada