[Dixielandjazz] RE: "Bodges...."

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 10:03:21 PST 2003

Dear Listmates--

Al (Jazzbo) Collins was a dear friend of mine when he was working at KLAC in
Los Angeles in the late 60's. He started out at KSL in Salt Lake City and
then moved to KSFO in San Francisco where I used to catch him when I lived
in Sacramento. Then I moved to LA and became an advertising executive and I
got to meet him and we became friends. I still have a few candid pictures of
the two of us and I still have a little card-type, peel-and-stick "badge"
which he gave away to listeners.

It is orange, of course, which was Al's favorite color, viz. his worship of
the "Mujuberus Orange Seed, " which, to Al, was the font of all creation.
(Also, his lone bit of atire was an orange -checked jumpsuit.) In the middle
of the circle is a cartoon of a Mexican Bandito and around the edge is the
saying (in Spanish, of course,) "We don't gotta show you no stinking
badges." And, as some of you may remember, every hour you would get a
sound-bite of Alfonso Bedoya saying the famous line (made famous by Al) from
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre." No wonder Mel Brooks took up the line for
satire in "Blazing Saddles."

As an afterthought, before Al developed his "Purple Grotto" jazz show
(presumably before he discovered Orange) when he was on KSL in Salt Lake
City, he locked himself into the control room one day and played Art
Mooney's "I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover" for 24-hours.  Of course, he
got national publicity and it was a great gimmick, soon to be copied forever
all over the US. As many of you know, Al was a very large man for his size
and he even played that up at KSL by driving a little Crosley "Hot Shot"
(remember those?)

There is a thing DJ's use called "back-timing" where you begin a record at a
certain time so it will end at a certain time. When he was on KSFO from 9 to
noon, Al closed every show with a back-timed version of Basie's "Blues in
Hoss Flat." Everyone waited for the muted trumet coda at the end which
always finished just before the noon "beep" of the station time sound. Never
missed. Al Collins was pure joy.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band