[Dixielandjazz] RE: "Bodges...."

Walker, Maurice maurice.walker at gwl.com
Tue Jan 28 10:26:10 PST 2003

>> To paraphrase that great line about badges in a Western Movie some years
>> ago. (Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!)
>>

>Actually, it wasn't a Western Movie, it was more of a Mexican:  "The
>Treasure
>of Sierra Madre", by John Ford with Humphrey Bogart,  The line was said
>by
>Alfonso Bedoya, and it was roughly "Bodges?  We don' need no stinkin'
>bodges,
>we are the Federales!"  The late Jazzbo Al Collins used it as a mantra on
>his
>radio shows later.
>
>Best regards, Ben Fowlkes, Curator of a Mountain of Movie Trivia

Actually, the exact quote Steve cited is from Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles,"
from sometime in the 70s, I think. In the scene in which the line occurred,
Harvey Korman and Slim Pickins were overseeing the recruiting of all sorts
of desperadoes to be used as bogus deputies to attack and pillage the town
where the new black Marshal (Cleavon Little) was holding forth. There were
Nazis, bikers, Klansmen, etc. in the recruiting line. When it came to the
stereotypical banditos, who were offered deputy badges, the line resulted.
Knowing Brooks movies, I suspect it was an allusion to Ford's movie: he
liked to do that sort of thing.
* Dick

Actually actually, I saw the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" recently
and realized everybody, me included, has had the quote wrong.  It's more
like, "Botches? Botches!? We don't have to show you no stinkin' botches!"
Possibly the other way is the way Mel Brooks rendered it, making the
"Blazing Saddles" version the "correct" quote in place of the original
"Sierra Madre" version.

Maurie Walker