[Dixielandjazz] Black & Blue significance

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Jan 28 08:14:07 PST 2003

In an earlier response, the version by
Ethyl Waters was brought up. Indeed, she was a suburb jazz singer, though
later in life she achieved greatness as an actress -- her performance in
Raisin in the Sun was outstanding. Among the many songs she recorded is one
fine one seldom heard (though our pianist Ann Lowry and recorded it with our
Michigan Nighthawks on a cassette we had some years back). The title is "Go
Back Where You Stayed Last Night." After we had recorded it, I got a copy of
the Water's version and was swiftly reminded of just how wonderful a
blues/jazz singer this lady was. That she did justice to Waller's "Black &
Blue" is no surprise.