[Dixielandjazz] Black & Blue significance

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 01:01:45 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/27/03 9:50:11 PM Central Standard Time,
nancyink at ulink.net writes:

> OFF-LIST
> Hi, Steve,
> In a conversation with Tommy Loy when he was out here last year, he said
> that it was written because he was having a clandestine affair with a white
> woman and was frustrated that he couldn't be out in the open with the
> truth.
> What say ye, Bob Romans, Bill Gunter, Rebecca, Jim Beebe, Bob Ringwald, or
> anyone else to whom he may have told this? BTW: Didn't Tommy sing it so
> well, and with so much heart? Wonderful.

   I never talked with Tommy about it.  Fats Waller wrote a lot of songs and
many were written with Andy Razoff (spelling) who wrote the lyrics.
I think that Waller wrote this as a semi-comic song with a deeper under tone.
 Most if not all of Fats's songs were lighthearted fun songs.
So, the song can be performed in different ways.  I think that the finest and
deepest recording of this was Louis Armstrong, in the Symphony Hall concert.
This was reissued on CD a couple of years ago.

  JIm Beebe