[Dixielandjazz] Re: Armstrong & Rodgers - Blue Yodel no 9

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Mon Jan 27 22:00:55 PST 2003

Hello Bill

you wrote (in part)

>Think about Lil on the Hot 5s first.
>Then play Blue Yodel 9.

Ha, I thought - here's where I'll convince you that instinct is no
substitute (sweet substitute?) for the cold reality of listening   :-)

Coming back to BY9 every second or third side, I started playing all the
electrically recorded Hot 5s. I was soon comfortable with my conclusion
that the BY9 pianist is not Miss Lil - Lil is consistently percussive, has
a bell-like quality in the right hand and shows none of heavy-handedness of
the BY9 "unknown".

Then I came to "I'm not rough" (10 December 1927). Aargh! The piano intro
is very similar indeed to that on BY9. Bugger!

What'll I do? Admit that it could well be Miss Lil on BY9 - having an off
day and probably not caring a great deal about a one-off anonymous
recording with a husband from whom she had drifted apart, and a yodeller.

Such is life,
Anton