[Dixielandjazz] Krupa, eat your heart out!

PLadd36932 at aol.com PLadd36932 at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 07:48:28 PST 2003

Hi Pat,
This from my paper today reporting on a group called Spring Heel Jack at
Queen Elizabeth Hall, London

Refering to the drummer it says

"Everybody should, before they die, see Hans Bennink.
This is a man who goes for a run and plays drums at the same time. Five
minutes into the gig, his feet were up on the kit , filling in beats his
hands were too busy to deal with. Later he played his kit with a chair leg
(chair still attached).
All this theatre would be empty without his sound, which combines twitching
chaos with a cool swing."

Is this jazz? Another reason that I am glad not to living in London.

Cheers

PatL