[Dixielandjazz] Solos was melody v. chords

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 19:24:37 PST 2003

Pat Cooke (double bass) writes:  (polite snip)

"When the band decides to give me a solo" . . .

Hey Pat, come up from New Orleans to Philadelphia and play with Barbone
Street. You'll get the same amount of solo space we give the front line,
or guitar. The audience here loves good bass solos. Plucked or Bowed.
Minimum one chorus per song, maximum whatever it takes to say your
piece.

And, as the leader, I appreciate the FACT that it is the rhythm section
that makes or breaks the band. No question in my mind about that.

Cheers,
Steve