[Dixielandjazz] Chordal & Melodic Improvisation

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Thu Jan 23 16:28:47 PST 2003

>>In other words, you can have jazz without improvisation.
I am not saying improvisation is not an important factor, but I am
maintaining that it is not paramount.<<

Brian:
If Louis did the original improvisation, I'd say he's allowed to play it
again.  It may not be on-the-spot improvisation, but it's still
improvisation.  I still say improvisation is what defines the music as jazz.
If not improvisation, what would you say is 'paramount'.
If you just played the original composer's straight melody all night, I
wouldn't call it jazz.
Pat Cooke