[Dixielandjazz] Chordal & Melodic Improvisation

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Thu Jan 23 16:47:59 PST 2003

Ron,
You are trying to move the goal posts!

In my example, by a sheer fluke, Louis was able to reproduce every note and
nuance exactly, the second time he played the number.  Highly unlikely, I
agree, but this is a hypothetical situation which I am using to prove a
point, namely that it is still jazz, even though the solo had been played
before!   In other words, you can have jazz without improvisation.
I am not saying improvisation is not an important factor, but I am
maintaining that it is not paramount.
Cheers,
Brian Towers