[Dixielandjazz] Glass Records

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Jan 21 10:21:05 PST 2003

The folks on the 78 collectors list might give you a more thorough answer,
but what I have gleaned from them is that these are lacquers, glass based
because of war time metal shortages.  The thin lacquer coating is what the
sound was cut into.  They are fragile and easily damaged.  It is best if you
copy the music onto some other medium for safe keeping.  You are pretty
lucky to have them.   They may be copies of a radio broadcast, making them
more or less one of a kind, or dupes of recordings that may now be hard to
obtain.

If you can figure it out, please submit messages to the group in plain text.
thanks,

Ron L