[Dixielandjazz] Small World Gigs

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 14:34:54 PST 2003

Barbone Street did an upscale retirement community gig last night. Our
third one there in the past 2 years and we always look forward to it
because there are a lot of retired music lovers in residence. This was
the first one that our first call trombonist, Glenn Dodson was able to
make. Glenn, as you may know, was principal trombone for the
Philadelphia Orchestra for some 28 years etc., etc.

Well Leon Lester lives at this community and Leon was also with the
Philadelphia so I was anxious to introduce them. Turns out that Glenn
joined in 1968, the year Leon retired, after playing clarinet and bass
clarinet since 1938 when Leopold Stokowski was conductor. What a hoot to
hear these two guys talk about how happy they were to retire, had bad
the politics at Symphony Orchestras are, etc. They also shared some
opinions on clarinet players in the orchestra from 1936 when Leon joined
to 1996 when Glenn retired.

Very intimidating for me to hear them discuss numerous symphonic first
chair clarinet players. Especially since Leon was a fairly well known
clarinet teacher, guru, here in the Eastern USA, and wrote numerous
instruction books on clarinet, some of which I used in High School etc.
Now I had to play in front of this noted player/teacher, with my "dirty"
tone, false jazz fingerings etc.

Only saving grace is that at 90 something, he is very hard of hearing so
after the first number, I was able to convince myself he couldn't hear
me. And he wears very thick glasses so I convinced myself that he
couldn't see my hands either.

But let me tell you, even at 68, this normally self assured player (if
you don't like it, don't listen) was as nervous as I've ever been at the
beginning of the concert. Thank goodness the rest of the band was on.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone