[Dixielandjazz] Banjos vs & vs banjos

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jan 21 10:46:53 PST 2003

Goggin, Brian (Dublin), wrote:
> Guys, What's with all ye Steve Voce disciples?! What's your major
avertion to
>banjos?! Same as any other instrument the banjo has it's place in jazz.

Brian, you just came along at the wrong time!  A few years back on DJML,
we were dominated by the two beat banjo/tuba crowd from the West Coast
(that's U.S.A., not the west coast of Ireland!), and you would have had
threads going on for weeks discussing the best thimbles to use.
Anything swinging & light was put upon immediately.

Now days, it's the boys from Chicago led by our friend Jim Beebe & your
fellow celt, Don Ingle who are more vocal on DJML.

All good fellows, all good music, all good jazz!

Jim (we don't have a banjo) Kash

p.s.  The only thing I really don't like about banjo players is their
insistence that it "ain't jazz without a banjo".  THAT is the opposite
from your defensive statement above, Brian, but is usually the stance of
the banjo crowd.  My line is that it is ALL jazz, just seen from
different angles.