[Dixielandjazz] Banjos vs & vs banjos

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Tue Jan 21 09:30:47 PST 2003

Some times it boils down to the musicians available.. It the best musician
is a banjo willing to commit to the band, well, banjo it is.  But if there
is no banjo player available, but a good guitar guy is, well, we love the
guitar.  Same with bass sax or tuba or stand up bass or electric bass. etc.

My core group is banjo, bass sax, drums and clarinet.  We do the majority of
our gigs with this group.  We have learned to play together well and have
wonderful audience response.  So, I make a big deal about how we are the
"real thing", not an electric band pretending to be a Dixieland band. When
we get a higher fee, we add the cornet, T-bone and even piano.

Russ Guarino