[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Italian NO connection (was Thanks...Tony Almerico)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 18 19:56:49 PST 2003

Dear Jim (and others),
With your comment: "Tony Almerico, in a way, represents the very significant
influence and contribution of musicians of Italian descent to New Orleans
Dixieland Jazz" you have hit on a known, but frequently overlooked aspect of
early New Orleans jazz.
However, to avid discographers (like me) the names of the musicians on the
'classic' records are a constant reminder of the Italian New Orleans
involvement.
Nick LaRocca, Tony Sbarbaro, Tony Parenti, Charlie Scaglioni, Leon Roppolo,
Sharkey Bonano, Santo Pecora, Sherwood Mangiapane, Charlie Cordella, Arnold
Loyacano, Tony Papalia and Mario Finazzo.  To name just a few.
Am I right in assuming that the famous Assunto's have an early Italian NO
connection?
DJMLER Mike Marios will have the answer.
If anyone is really interested, pull up Google and type in: New Orleans jazz,
the Italians - then follow the links.
Then of course there were the New Orleans Irish!
8>)
(Haesler was my step-father's name. I am a Bourke/Ornsby on my mother's side.)
But as Luis so rightly stressed earlier, do not let any of this distract from
the SOUND.
Kind regards,
Bill.