[Dixielandjazz] San Kenton

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Sat Jan 18 19:52:16 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/18/03 5:01:58 PM Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> I'm loving the discussion on Kenton, just as I loved the one on Miles
> Davis. Basically because all sorts of misconceptions arise about both.
> No surprising because I guess these misconceptions arise about all jazz
> musicians.
>
> Kenton used "KKK" on his stationary? Nah, never happened. It was his fan
> club that used it. It meant "Keep Kenton Kicking". Was it racist? Maybe,
> but it was not Kenton doing it. Sure most of his fans were white. And
> why not, the music didn't swing, was not danceable and more like a band
> firing an intelligence test at a seated audience.

   Aaaah...Steve.  the Chicago Symphony doesn't 'swing', it is not danceable
and most of  the orchestra and it's fans are white.  Somehow, in spite of
these drawbacks, the CSO manages to play some very worthwhile music.

enough said.    Jim Beebe