[Dixielandjazz] Bill Russo Obit / Things Go Better With Coke

Paul Reid whadayesay at webtv.net
Wed Jan 15 14:51:53 PST 2003

Steve,
     Thanks for both articles on Bill Russo's death and the $10 million
grant from Coke.
      Bill was a driving force behind many good sounds that came from
Kenton's Progressive Jazz era, and also a great performer and jazz
musician of high calibre. He had a strong influence on broadening my
eclectic tastes for the many facet's of jazz.
       Seeing as this is a dixieland oriented list, there will be those
that are turned off to writings including Wynton Marsalis's name. But,
it's all in the name of Jazz. I'm happy to see Dizzy Gilespie being
honored. He is such an important entity of jazz.
       Most importantly, Coke-a-Cola should really be remembered for all
the musical contributions they HAVE made over the years. How many
remember "Coke Time" on radio which always featured music. It really was
a part of Americana. And who, that ever heard it, can forget the theme
music that identified any radio program that they sponsored. I'm talking
basically of radio program's that originated here in the states. I'm not
sure if that applied to the rest of the world. Although, there was a
series of shows, sponsored by Coke, that also appeared on V-disc's
during world war 2, and after. That was the Coke-a-Cola Victory Parade
of Spotlight Bands, broadcast nightly from a different location with a
different well known musical group. Big Bands etc. including Bob Wills.
I think that without, maybe, Coke even realizing it, they were saying
that any and all jazz is a universal oneness. All of it's different
venue's have an appeal to many with assorted taste's.
        The thought occurred to me, of comparing a public Library to all
facet's of jazz. We go to a library to seek out a book on a certain
subject that we might be interested in. Without thinking about it, we
may not even acknowledge how lucky we are to have a place like this to
go to and find books on our favorite subjects. We don't necessarily put
down other subject matter of books that we're NOT interested in. But we
do mingle with others going after books that they are interested in.
Sometimes even talking with someone who just may introduce us to
something we would have never even thought of investigating.
        Well, is it not true that in this sense the sum total of all
forms of jazz is somewhat to be compared with a public library? It's all
there for our enjoyment, if we so choose. Also, wouldn't it also be OK,
to NOT be negative, as a human being can be, about some forms of jazz
NOT being good? It's all part of the cake. And new recipes of jazz as
well as food, will continue to evolve. And every established form of
jazz will have it's own rightful place in history, down through the
years. I feel that jazz in total needs to be promoted and supported by
all of us, regardless of our individual preference. "United we stand"
etc. I love MUSIC!! Jazz, Classical, Country, Big Band, Rock, etc. That
doesn't mean I like all of each field of music. But I am open to
exploring. And that can be adventurous, and positive.
Thoughtfully,
Paul ("Go For The Gusto") Reid