[Dixielandjazz] Village Stompers

G.Bielderman gerardbielderman@freeler.nl
Mon Jan 13 12:42:36 PST 2003

Hello,

I've contacted Joe Muranyi and here is his reply regarding the recordings of
the VILLAGE STOMPERS:

The Village Stompers LPs; these were made mostly by a group that existed
only in the recording studio.And the personnel changed a lot. The personnel
you mention was the original "live" band that played jobs and traveled all
over the world. I was in that group. As a whole band they never made any of
the records! Hubbell and I are on a few tracks. Maybe Brady too, I'm not
sure. The trumpet on a lot of the studio sides was Mel Davis. Al Caiola
plays the banjo. Phil Bodner-reeds. Wayne Andre was often on trombone. There
were two or three drummers/percussionists; one of them was Phil Krause. Yank
Lawson played trumpet on some tracks. It was a very changing personnel
sometimes! The "live" band made an Epic LP with singer Bobby Vinton at the
Copacabana Nightclub "live." But it's a different personnel from what you've
listed as it's later on. The horns are the same but the rhythm section is
different. The live band did a 45rpm single in Tokyo: "Happy Clap Hands" and
"Midnight In Tokyo." I've got the record in New York, there's a picture on
the sleeve of most of the actual people who made the record!

As Joe said himself: a discography of the recordings of this band is a
nightmare for discographers.......

Gerard Bielderman, Leie 18, 8032 ZG Zwolle, Netherlands
publisher of EUROJAZZ DISCOS / SWINGIN' AMERICANS / SOUNDS OF NEW ORLEANS
Website: http://members.lycos.nl/gerardbiel