[Dixielandjazz] Re: AM Radio

Burt Wilson futurecon@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:58:00 -0800

You can blame this on the FCC, too: Our imbecile president with the big
ambitions has allowed his FCC to pass new laws making it possible for one
media giant to own an many stations as they want in one market. That means
more "Big Brother" radio and TV. It means the end of OKOM on the air because
it doesn't make money for the station. This is just so bad I can hardly
believe it if it were not happening in all areas of life just now.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of Dave Bilgray
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 11:35 PM
To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: AM Radio

Folks,

 >>MY question to you and radio afficiandos is...were AM radios better
in those old tube days. I certainly remember pulling in stations from all
over with fine clarity.<<

Blame it on the FCC.  Back when you (and I) were listening to distant
stations, many frequencies were designated as clear channels, with only one
station on that frequency at night.  Those stations all had high power (50
kw), so they could be received clearly for long distances.  KOA Denver,
KMOX St. Louis, WWL New Orleans, and four in Chicago.  That's pretty much
gone.  Those frequencies now have multiple stations, scattered around the
country, which often get in the way of those distant ones you want to hear.

Dave Bilgray