[Dixielandjazz] More on kazoos

Jazzjerry@aol.com Jazzjerry@aol.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:55:37 EST

In a message dated 10/1/03 12:48:48 AM, rvthompson@earthlink.net writes:

<< Anyone ever heard of these "carnival jazz [kazoo] bands" and their
repertoires?

Hi Bert,

Although I haven't seen much about them lately I believe that these 'jazz
bands' do still exist 'up north'. I saw something in the press or on TV a few
years ago which showed that most of them now consist of youngsters and there
are still competitions and regional contests. I believe that at one point
there was even a tradition that the members of the 'jazz band' blacked up a
la Jolson which seems even more bizarre.

A suitable subject for a history project?

Imagine booking one of these bands for your jazz club and at the duly
appointed time 50 children with faces of burnt cork bearing kazoos arrive to
entertain your audience rather than the six or seven hard-bitten musos
actually expected!

I will see what I can find out from some of my Northern customers.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.