[Dixielandjazz] Re: AM Radio

John Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:35:33 -0000

>  >>MY question to you and radio afficiandos is...were AM radios better
> in those old tube days. I certainly remember pulling in stations from all
> over with fine clarity

Those old radios were not better, today's technology is allows for better
designs smaller size etc and solid state sets are more reliable, no tube
replacements etc. I do however confess to possessing a 60 year old RCA AR88
receiver that I use daily as part of  my ham radio station, together with a
tube transmitter of mid 50s vintage which transmits proper AM and enables
regular contacts with other Radio Amateurs across the pond.
>From a sound point of view though FM is much better and Digital radio should
be even more so. Trouble is there is very little OKOM on the BBC or
commercial stations over here. We do get 3 hours on Sunday on our local BBC
station of a show called Gold For Grown ups presented by Paul Barnes, which
plays a lot of jazz and big band stuff as well as classy singers like Crosby
Sinatra, Nat Cole and many more.

Woe however to Jazz FM who are axing Tony's Trad Time, the only programme
on a JAZZ STATION devoted to traditional jazz.

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ