[Dixielandjazz] Re: AM Radio

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:44:57 +0100

I used to set my alarm for about 1am in 1957 so I could sit up in bed
with my fingers on the screws where the antennae went into my little
radio (to help the reception), and hear Earl "Fatha" Hines & his band
from New Orleans.  I was living in St. Petersburg, Florida, then, during
my last year in High School.

Ron wrote:
>Another reason is all the electronics around today that were not around
50
>years ago.  Even street lights create interference that old
incandescent
>ones did not.

Incandescent!  Wow, how modern!  When I got to Madrid in 1966, there
were still gas lamps in the center of town, and an old guy would come
along with a flame & light them at dusk!!  :>

Jim