[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Popular?/Mainstream

D and R Hardie darnhard@ozemail.com.au
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:02:39 +1000

Dear Fred,
                I am sorry if my comments about
your interpretation of my recollections caused
offence. You, like Daniel in my copy of the good
book are one of the good guys.This whole thing has
become what we call here a Furphy. Let me repeat I
did not at any stage suggest that the term
mainstream was invented here in the 1940's nor
wish  refute your statements about its origins.
Where or how it emerged is a matter for experts in
that field.I am not one. Brian Towers has rightly
pointed to Humphrey Lyttleton's band as an example
of the sort of transition to mainstream that
happened here too.
best wishes
Dan Hardie
Check Out the Early Jazz History site at:
 http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html