[Dixielandjazz] "Mainstream - a definition.

briantowers briantowers@msn.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:45:38 -0500

Here is another spin on the term "mainstream" based on my experiences of
jazz in the UK.

In 1950/60's Britain we used the term "mainstream" to denote jazz that was
neither traditional nor modern in our eyes.  The players were usually older
than the typical youngsters of that era who played traditional jazz in the
style of George Lewis, King Oliver, Jelly Roll Morton, ODJB etc.

We would have described players like Buck Clayton, Ruby Braff, Vic
Dickinson, Ben Webster etc.  as "mainstream"

We did NOT use the term to describe Chicago style jazz, Wild Bill, Condon,
Wilbur De Paris etc.

Humphrey Lyttleton's early band was very strongly traditional.  Later he
changed his approach and his band became mainstream.   The banjo was out,
saxophones were in and the emphasis was no longer on ensemble, counterpoint,
polyphony in the classic traditional style.  Instead the emphasis was
strongly on the instrumental solo and pre-arranged riffs, big band style.
The beat became more laid back and much of the heat of the early jazz sound
disappeared though often the musicianship was of a high standard and
creative.   Much of thesoul and emotion of the original jazz disappeared,
though "mainstream" was often pleasant and made relaxed, if not particularly
exciting, listening.    It differed from modern jazz in that there was still
a discernable melody, rhythm and a recognisable disciplined structure. One
could still dance to it!

Cheers,

Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada