[Dixielandjazz] Dancing and Dixieland

Margaret Squires margeaux@inreach.com
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:08:08 -0800

Oh Dan!  You got that right!  I'm the music director for the Modesto
Dixieland Jazz Society.  We have a reputation for being a dance club.  There
are several musicans on this list who can verify it.  I've booked a few new
bands in to play for our monthly meeting, and I warn them about our dancers!
I don't mean that in an unkind way.  But to talk to SOME of the dancers,
they have no clue as to the name of tunes, name of performers, or even the
name of the band!....it doesn't matter to them.....but doggone it they
better be able to dance to it!  I emphasize "some", because we have members
who are dancers and are quite the experts in OKOM.  I think I stirred up a
bit of a hornets' nest at the first board meeting I attended.  As I was
talking about a new group I wanted to bring in, I mentioned that I told the
band leader that the music had to be danceable.  Every head at the meeting
nodded, which prompted me to later state "You know, I think it wouldn't
matter who we brought in, or how they sounded, as long as you could dance to
the music!"  Wow, that got 'em going!  (But I know it's true!)  But face it,
for a lot of people that's what our jazz club meetings are about....an
opportunity for people to dance and socialize.  Since I don't get to dance
very often, for me it's to hear the band and socialize.

Margaret

P.S.  If anyone's interested, we meet on the 3rd Sunday of the month.
Fulton Street is our band for January, and Cell Block 7 is our band for
February.  E-mail me if you would like more details.