[Dixielandjazz] Dancing and Dixieland

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 21:34:33 -0500

One of my earliest discoveries as a commercial dixieland player/bandleader was
that folks start bouncing and tapping various body parts almost immediately
to 2-beat rhythm at moderate tempos. I played with tubists and clarinetists
who were 4-beat types, upright bassists, played with 4-beat NO revival
bands, played piano and banjo at various times with a NO 20s style 4-beat,
plus swing, general dance in my dance band. For small group background
gigs, the banjo-tuba 2-beat 20s pop style has the greatest immediate impact
on general audiences. This doesn't mean that a good 4-beat can't get people
*grooving* fairly soon, but as far as I can determine, for the job of
getting folks *happy*, 2-beat is the most efficient.

--Sheik