[Dixielandjazz] Dancing and Dixieland

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:49:09 -0600

     I noticed a common element among the comments of a number of
successful OKOM/dixieland bands:
     "Lu Watters had always felt that jazz and dance should go hand in
hand as they had in the early days." (_Emperor Norton's Hunch_, p.
77)  He wanted to get as many people as possible out of their seats
and onto the dance floor.
     Steve Barbone has recounted many times that people like to dance
along with the music his band plays, even folks over 70 when fast
tunes are being played.
     And in my limited (OKOM-playing) experience, i've tried to notice
when people in the band and in the audience tap their feet or move to
the music in their chairs or get up and dance.  If they're just
sitting there, i start to play tuba with more emphasis on the beat,
and sometimes when i do that i see them begin moving to the music.
     Ain't nuthin' new, i know, but maybe some of the time we forget
that what brings some people out to hear us is the fact that can
dance to our music.  They're not concerned very much with our (well,
your) artistic solos, or the clever arrangements we do, as much as
they are energized by the kind of music that makes them get up and
dance!  After we get them in the room, we can slip them a little art
once in a while, if doing so doesn't screw up their fun.
     At Sacramento, i always love to see the gentleman in one of those
little personal electrically powered carts start slowly driving
around the room, pumping a red parasol up and down in time to the
music, with his little chihuahua clinging to the handlebars.  Pretty
soon, a whole line of people will be following him, moving to the
music, and having a ball.  Sure, it's nice when people sit there and
listen attentively to every note and nuance, and clap
enthusiastically, but hell, if jazz music doesn't move you in some
way, what good is it?

Dan ("I don't dance, don't ask me") Augustine
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**  "One should try everything once, except incest and folk-dancing." **