[Dixielandjazz] Johnny Blowers was Drummers

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 24 21:12:36 PST 2003

Hi Jim and List Mates

He still has a sparkle in his eyes too, though he walks a bit slowly. I
spent the better part of an hour chatting with him about Pee Wee Russell,
and the Condon gang of those wonderful years, late 1930s and early
1940s. He
said that he was one of the first drummers to take a full chorus solo. That
in the early days before 1935 or so, drummers only took 4, or 8 bar breaks.

He and Krupa, he said, were among the first to play "the whole song" on
drums.

Cheers,
Steve