[Dixielandjazz] Hal Galper-music training

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Feb 21 08:36:37 PST 2003

Steve:
       You're right...Hal Galper is an excellent jazz musician.  I have
several of his CDs.
        I have always said that music as taught in the school system does
not adequately prepare the student to play anything that isn't written down.
Until one gets to college level and majoring in music, almost nothing is
taught about scales, modes, or chords; and ear training is non-existent.
       I am talking here about my own musical training in the school system.
All I learned in school bands was how to read band charts.  Most everything
else I know is self taught, except for a few teachers I studied with much
too late in life.
       In a very young student, information soaked up as if by a blotter.
That is when theory and ear training should begin.
       A school band director has the responsibility to put a band together
that can "play something".  In a band full of beginners, this means a lot of
theory training is bypassed.  A few tunes are taught by rote, and the band
shows up in a few months "playing something".
                I have heard so many high school and junior college bands
who sound reasonably good (except for intonation) while they are reading
their parts; but the "jazz" solos are just awful.
                Pat Cooke
]