[Dixielandjazz] Hal Galper

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 20 21:43:02 PST 2003

List Mates:

Just got the following press release from Hal Galper. No wonder we can't
agree on what jazz is. We've been screwed up since childhood. ;-)

For those who do not know Hal Galper, he is a mainstream jazz pianist.
Worked with Phil Woods, Chet Baker and others. Recorded about 80 times.
Has several Grammy nominations. Is a teacher of music and a
distinguished graduate of the Berklee College of Music. He contends that
many jazz player wannabes today have trouble playing jazz because their
childhood musical training was not relevant. Same goes for fans.

"How Long Has This Been Going On?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Announcing Hal Galper's New Play-Along Jazz Instruction Ebook "Forward
Motion, From Bach to Bebop, a Corrective Approach to Jazz Phrasing"

Forward Motion illustrates that most concepts learned in early childhood
musical training are not applicable to adult musical behavior. That
music is almost universally taught "backwards" from the way inner
hearing
functions.

Forward Motion is immediately available for downloading at
http://www.ForwardMotionPDF.com for only $16.97 USD."