[Dixielandjazz] Venuti and Grappelli (was history of Jazz)

Jim Denham james at jiming.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 13 23:48:02 PST 2003

Joe Venuti "emulated" Stephan Grappelli??!!

Aux contrare, mon ami!

Venuti was an established professional, recording musician many years
before Grappelli made his first records, and the charming Frenchman
himself was not averse to acknowledging Venuti as his major influence.

It's a good job that Four String Joe isn't around to hear your travesty
of history: who knows what fiendish revenge he'd meticulously plan...

Venuti and Grappelli made a record together in the late 60's with George
Wein, shortly before Joe's death. It's an instructive contrast: one is
an assured, pleasant, swinging but rather effete player; the other is a
red-hot no-hold-barred improviser.

I have no wish to add to anti-French sentiment in the present climate.
But the truth must be told.

Yours,

Jim Denham.

In message <000b01c2d211$08559a60$a01b13d8 at commspeed.net>, gary