[Dixielandjazz] history of Jazz

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Wed Feb 12 15:45:53 PST 2003

   Gary Wallbridge
   Cottonwood, AZ

wrote

>    It is; "A history of Jazz in America" by Barry Ulanov, Viking Press,
> copyright '50, '51, & '52. Also published by the Macmillan Co. of Canada.
As
> of the date of my copy there was no library #.
>    This book consists of  382 pages that tell you more than anything you
> ever wanted to know about Jazz from pre-New Orleans up to and including
> modern and progressive.

>    Recently it was stated that Django Reinhardt was the only Non American
> who had a great influnce on early Jazz, not quite.
>    There was one other muso who played with Django that was just as
> influential, Stephen Grappelly who it is no secret that Joe Venuti
emulated.

This is indeed news to me. I had always thought that it would have been the
other way around.
Did Joe Venuti have a secret set of Grappelli recordings that he listened to
before he recorded with Eddie Lang in the 1920's, along with other
musicians.
I am reliably informed that Eddie South was in Paris before WW2; he may have
influenced Grappelli.
Talking about various violinists, Grappelli among them, Brian Rust wrote
"Fine musicians, all; but none could really compare in technique, attack,
ideas and finesse with Joe Venuti."

Maybe Ulanov got his facts from Bunk Johnson or that other icon of accuracy,
"Jazzmen".

Phil O'Rourke
Australia