[Dixielandjazz] Impending New York Visit

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Thu Feb 13 04:07:30 PST 2003

Hi all,

A couple of bits of advice please. On Saturday (15th) my wife and I will be
flying across the big pond to spend just under a week in New York drinking up
the culture which we hope to find there. That is of course providing we can
negotiate our way through the military circle at present surrounding Heathrow
Airport!

My wife is not a great lover of jazz, in fact she says, "It all sounds the
same and is so boring." but I am hoping to catch some music in the
traditional to mainstream styles whilst in the Big Apple. Any suggestions,
please? We will be staying at the New York Helmsley on 42nd Street from
Saturday 15th to Friday 21st and will be relying on public transport, taxis
or feet to get us around.

Also our newspapers over here have carried a considerable amount of reportage
 to the effect the the USA is in a state of panic and the citizens are
battening down the hatches in preparation for a war against some Middle
Eastern country or a threatened attack from al Quaeda or maybe North Korea. I
hope the reports are embellishing the truth as usual and life in New York is
pretty much normal. Any guidance?

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Cheers,

Jerry,