[Dixielandjazz] Sad News

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Sun Feb 9 18:23:19 PST 2003

It saddens me deeply to inform you that Ruby Braff passed away this morning
around 7:00 a.m. (Sunday, 2/9/03). I heard indirectly via Jack Bradley, and
from Mat Domber.

He had been in declining health the last six months or so, had emphysema
for a long time, pneumonia sent him into the hospital, ended up living in a
nursing home for the last few months, had pneumonia again, unable to play
the cornet, seemed to have given up the will to live, lost lots of weight,
was down to maybe 70 pounds at the end.

As you know, Ruby was a true original, one of the greatest of all time. He
remained amazingly creative and played beautifully to the very end. He has
been a great inspiration to me and countless others, and I am proud to say
we were friends and that I had the honor and priviledge of playing and
recording with him.

Ruby's funeral will be on Wednesday, 2/12/03, in the Cape Cod area, I don't
have further details at this point.

Jon-Erik Kellso