[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Insularity

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 9 17:44:52 PST 2003

Listmates,

We're still outside the envelope on this xenophobia thing. The relationship
to OKOM is pretty tenuous and I'm sure that Papa Ringwald is gonna descend
on us pretty heavily if it continues too long.

Having said that, I gotta ask the question . . .

Is America more insular than say England? France, Iran, Russia, etc.?
Indeed, can anyone name a country which can be legimately described as less
insular than the U.S.?

Xenophobia an American trait? . . . pfah! Rubbish! It's a WORLD trait!

Now, having said that, I gotta state something expository . . .

The thing about American jazz is that it's really an amalgam of many
cultures in, dare I say it, this MELTING POT called America. How can "jazz"
be mentioned in the same paragraph as "insularity"? One of the reasons jazz
was able to spread around the world as quickly as it did was because the
language is universal! That's why!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com